U.S. Rep. Thomas Massie says he won’t ask for a recount in his nationally watched primary loss to a Trump-backed opponent.
The Kentucky race was not particularly close – Republican Ed Gallrein won 55% to 45%, sweeping all but 2 of the 21 counties in the district – but online conspiracy theorists almost immediately began questioning the results.
“There’s a quiet all-out war for the future of our country. Let us not misdirect our precious resources,” Massie posted May 22 on X. “I do not believe I lost due to fraudulent votes, mail-in ballots, hacking, or mistabulated results. I respect those who want to make sure, but I won’t be requesting a recount.”
Conspiracies abound in wake of Massie’s defeat
Blaming everyone from Trump to Israel, Massie backers have been pumping out social media posts suggesting that the race had been “rigged.”
They point to higher-than-normal turnout, mail-in ballots, and the fact that Massie’s campaign party was crowded and raucous, while Gallrein’s was sparsely attended and quiet.
But the high turnout was the direct result of the race getting so much attention – and the fact that this race was the most expensive primary in U.S. history. Several late polls showed Gallrein winning and Trump, who polls show remains extremely popular among Republicans, mounted several last-minute attacks on Massie, including an Oval Office video.
This article originally appeared on Cincinnati Enquirer: Thomas Massie says he won’t ask for a recount, despite conspiracies
Reporting by Carl Weiser, Cincinnati Enquirer / Cincinnati Enquirer
USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect

