Fountain in front of the Municipal Building West being removed Tuesday, May 19, 2026.
Fountain in front of the Municipal Building West being removed Tuesday, May 19, 2026.
Home » News » National News » Illinois » Landmark fountain deemed an 'eyesore' being torn down in Springfield
Illinois

Landmark fountain deemed an 'eyesore' being torn down in Springfield

SPRINGFIELD — City of Springfield crews began removing the more than 60-year-old fountain in front of the Municipal Building West at Seventh and Monroe streets May 19.

The fountain, actually, three fountains in a series of cascading pools, was long a backdrop for prom, wedding and graduation photos, along with other commemorative events and causes.

Video Thumbnail

It has been inoperable since 2024 for a number of reasons, including the lower pool being unable to retain water and the pools’ disintegrating walls.

Late last week, Mayor Misty Buscher said the space would be replaced with landscaping to commemorate the centennial of Route 66, the “Mother Road,” which has different sections in Springfield.

Buscher said that wasn’t “a permanent replacement,” and she envisioned community events where the public could weigh in about what it wants to see there.

“I’ve had people tell me they want to put the world’s largest penny there because they want a Guinness Book of Records (entry),” Buscher told The State Journal-Register. Others want another fountain or a park-like setting, she said.

Buscher said “way-finding signage” in the space would be helpful, directing visitors to historic sites and events.

The-then nascent Roman Cultural Society donated funds for the fountain in 1962. Buscher met with the organization’s current president, Anthony Nestler, informing him of the city’s decision.

City Public Works Director Dave Fuchs said earlier that motors that run the water pumps are no longer manufactured. Crews have had to patch the concrete walls of the pool and wiring for the lighting of the fountain has also crumbled.

“It just needs to come out because it is an eyesore…not being used as it’s intended,” Buscher said.

Crews are readying the temporary landscaping for the start of the Hemmings Motor News Great Race classic car rally in Springfield June 20. There will be a number of events locally leading up to the start of the rally.

Contact Steven Spearie: 217-622-1788; sspearie@sj-r.com; X, twitter.com/@StevenSpearie.

This article originally appeared on State Journal-Register: Landmark fountain deemed an ‘eyesore’ being torn down in Springfield

Reporting by Steven Spearie, Springfield State Journal-Register / State Journal-Register

USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect

Image

Image

Related posts

Leave a Comment