San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department deputies conducted another round of homeless outreach in Adelanto and nearby areas last month, resulting in 53 people contacted, including 10 who accepted referrals for services and 14 who were arrested, authorities said.
The department’s Homeless Outreach Proactive Enforcement, or HOPE, Team scoured the Victor Valley in search of people living on the streets on Friday, March 20, according to the agency. The effort was part of the county’s ongoing “Operation Shelter Me” program.
“This operation aimed to connect staff with unhoused residents, offering them housing, medical, and mental health treatment services, while addressing community safety concerns,” sheriff’s officials said in a written statement. “During this operation, the HOPE Team focused on individuals with significant mental illnesses to link them with restorative mental health pathways.”
The team contacted a total of 53 people.
“Ten individuals accepted referral information to assistance program,” the statement said.
Another 14 people were arrested, including six for outstanding misdemeanor warrants, four for drug possession, three for possession of drug paraphernalia and one for violating probation terms, officials said.
All of those arrested were also offered resources and services, the agency added.
“Operation Shelter Me” is supported by “Community Concerns” funds allocated by the San Bernardino County Board of Supervisors.
Anyone who knows someone experiencing homelessness and in need of services can reach the HOPE Team at (909) 387-0623, or by email at hope@sbcsd.org.
This article originally appeared on Victorville Daily Press: Deputies conduct homeless outreach in San Bernardino County
Reporting by Brian Day, Victorville Daily Press / Victorville Daily Press
USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect

