(This story was updated to add new information)
More than two weeks of searching for a missing 16-year-old with autism across Indianapolis have resulted in recovery efforts, according to his mother and police.
Robert “RJ” Williams Jr. was last seen between a McDonald’s and a bus stop at 4:38 p.m. in the 1100 block of Broad Ripple Avenue on Wednesday, Dec. 17, 2025, according to a missing person’s flyer, which also stated that he suffered from mood disorders and had a history of psychosis. The flier also said he had the “mentality of a 10 or 11-year-old.”
“I want to first thank everyone who has been actively searching, passing out flyers, calling, texting, and praying. We appreciate each and everyone of you,” Katania Williams posted on social media. “We met with the detectives, and we were given proof of what possibly happened to RJ. I say possibly because we still do not have his body.”
Indianapolis Metropolitan Police confirmed Jan. 2 that they are in a recovery process.
A police report stated the high-functioning autistic teen did not return home after school. On Dec. 18, police said detectives and IMPD’s K9s searched the area and located a backpack and gym bag belonging to the teen on a dock along White River.
Despite extensive ground, drone, sonar, and water searches over that weekend, police, Indianapolis Fire, and the Indiana Department of Natural Resources (DNR) found no additional evidence at the time.
A Silver Alert for the teen was issued last week.
Indianapolis Metropolitan Police said based on new developments in the investigation, detectives believe the teen likely fell in to the river.
“As a result, this case has transitioned to a recovery mission,” the department said in a statement. “Detectives, with assistance from DNR, will continue using specialized equipment and resources to search the area for RJ. The department remains in close contact with the family during this difficult time.”
At the request of IMPD, Indiana Conservation Officer Lt. Angela Goldman said DNR is searching the river for the 16-year-old near the Broad Ripple area. They’re using two specialized pieces of equipment.
“One is boat-based, and it’s called Side-Scan Sonar,” Goldman said. “It emits a sonar beam down under the water, and it’ll give us a pretty detailed picture of what the bottom of the river looks like.”
The other is a “remote underwater vehicle” that can search using sonar and camera equipment.
The teen’s mother said RJ’s family is working on processing the new information.
“If what is being said is true, Robert passed away on Dec. 17,” Williams wrote online. “My heart is shattered as I am more than broken. Today is the day, RJ, and today is going to be a very hard day for many of us. If what the detectives are saying is true, please allow them to find you.”
Jade Jackson is a Public Safety Reporter for the Indianapolis Star. You can email her at Jade.Jackson@IndyStar.com and follow her on X, formerly Twitter @IAMJADEJACKSON.
This article originally appeared on Indianapolis Star: Mother, officials say search for missing teen now a recovery effort
Reporting by Jade Jackson and Noe Padilla, Indianapolis Star / Indianapolis Star
USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect


