The start of the preliminary hearing in the Tyler McCain case is scheduled for Sept. 4 at Shasta County Superior Court, said the District Attorney’s Office on Friday afternoon.
McCain is accused of killing his wife, Nikki Cheng Saelee McCain, after a domestic dispute. He pleaded not guilty on Friday, Aug. 22 to a charge of murder in the first degree and other charges he faces related to the homicide case.
The hearing was initially scheduled for Sept. 3 but rescheduled following a Friday morning appearance at which the court assigned a judge and courtroom.
Original story
Tyler McCain, accused of killing his wife, Nikki Cheng Saelee McCain, after a domestic dispute, pleaded not guilty on Friday, Aug. 22 to a charge of murder in the first degree and several other charges he is facing in connection to the homicide case.
Shasta County Superior Court Judge Adam Ryan ordered Tyler McCain continue to be held without bail, despite a request from his defense attorney, Michael Borges, for the judge to reconsider.
Ryan cited the various charges against Tyler McCain before saying they were “sufficient to hold the defendant without bail.”
McCain, who was arrested on Wednesday morning, will remain in the Shasta County Jail. A preliminary hearing in the case is scheduled for Sept. 3, the Shasta County District Attorney’s Office said. That hearing could last over several days, the DA’s Office said.
The courtroom on the fourth floor of the Shasta County Courthouse was packed with observers well before Tyler McCain was brought in for the proceeding, which lasted under 10 minutes.
Nikki McCain’s family sat on the front row. Many of their supporters wore white T-shirts that said, “Justice for Nikki. Bring Nikki Home.”
Outside the courthouse before the hearing began, some people said they didn’t know Nikki McCain personally, but wanted to show their support.
One of those people, Nidelis Slater, said she was attending the court hearing “to find answers. We need to get answers. We need to know where she’s at.”
Investigators believe Tyler McCain killed his wife to prevent her from testifying in a domestic violence case she filed against him in December 2023, District Attorney Stephanie Bridgett said at Wednesday’s press conference. Because of that legal “enhancement” — that he murdered his wife to prevent that testimony — McCain could face life in prison without parole if he is convicted.
Happy Valley resident Nikki McCain was declared dead last March, 10 months after she was reported missing in May 2024.
The murder charge includes an enhancement that the crime was committed with intent to prevent Nikki McCain’s testimony in the domestic violence case from December 2023 that was pending when she went missing.
Bridgett said her office dismissed the domestic violence charges in July 2024.
“Many people were frustrated when those charges were first dismissed,” Bridgett said, because it may have appeared that Tyler McCain had gotten away with the domestic violence charges. But prosecutors did not want to compromise the investigation, she said.
A confidential informant provided a statement to investigators reporting that Tyler McCain admitted to killing his wife on May 18, 2024, according to authorities.
The addition of the enhancement “elevates the murder charge from a sentence of 25 years to life to life without the possibility of parole,” said Bridgett, who added that all the charges are being refiled.
Tyler McCain faces several additional charges.
In May 2024, shortly after his wife went missing, a search warrant was issued for the McCain family home, leading to charges related to illegal possession of a firearm and ammunition after a criminal protective order had been issued, Bridgett said.
Read More: Nikki McCain homicide investigation began as missing person case: Here were the key events
Tyler McCain was also charged in May 2024 with forgery after attempting to cash a joint check from the U.S. Department of the Treasury.
Bridgett said that in April 2025, Tyler McCain was stopped after throwing items out of his vehicle window. He was found in possession of a partially burned California drivers license belonging to Nikki McCain.
(This story was updated to add new information and a photo.)
Michele Chandler covers dining, food, public safety and whatever else comes up for the Redding Record Searchlight/USA Today Network. Accepts story tips at 530-338-7753 and at mrchandler@gannett.com. Please support our entire newsroom’s commitment to public service journalism by subscribing today.
This article originally appeared on Redding Record Searchlight: Tyler McCain, accused in wife Nikki McCain’s slaying, makes court appearance in Redding
Reporting by Michele Chandler, Redding Record Searchlight / Redding Record Searchlight
USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect



