The family of a Lucerne Valley man who was shot and killed by sheriff’s deputies last week is disputing the official narrative of the encounter provided by law enforcement.
Nicolas Keith, 34, died in the shooting, which took place shortly after 12:30 a.m. May 12 in a residential neighborhood in the 32400 block of Morse Lane, just west of Mesa Avenue, according to the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department.
Sheriff’s officials said the incident began as an investigation into a “strong-arm robbery” in which Keith was a suspect.
“As deputies attempted to detain him, Keith reversed his vehicle and accelerated, striking a deputy,” the sheriff’s department said in a written statement. “Two deputies discharged their firearms, and Keith was pronounced deceased at the scene.”
One deputy was treated by medical personnel at the scene, officials added.
Family disputes sheriffs’ department narrative
Keith’s family “strongly disputes” the sheriff’s department’s account, according to attorney Sharon J. Brunner of the Law Offices of Sharon J. Brunner, who is representing the family.
“According to information currently available to the family and witnesses, this incident did not stem from a violent robbery, but from a mental crisis that Nicolas was experiencing and a dispute over a cellphone,” she said in a written statement. “The call to law enforcement was made to seek help for Nicolas.”
Local law enforcement officials were familiar with Keith, who said had suffered a traumatic brain injury, Brunner said.
“His family and loved ones had sought help from Law Enforcement on that day and the week prior,” she said.
Need for lethal force questioned
Brunner said family members of Keith, as well as an eyewitnesses to the shooting, place the deputies’ need to use lethal force into question.
“Evidence suggests Nicolas was arriving at the property and attempting to leave when the deputies engaged with him,” according to the attorney. “While attempting to leave Nicolas’ vehicle became immobilized. The deputies shot and killed Nicolas while he was seat belted in his vehicle.”
Brunner called for the release of body-worn camera footage, dash cam footage and dispatch communications related to the incident, adding that she planned to file a legal claim on behalf of the family against San Bernardino County in the coming days.
“This case deserved a full, transparent and independent investigation,” she said.
“Nicolas Keith was a human being struggling with significant medical and mental health challenges,” Brunner said. “His family deserves answers, transparency and accountability regarding the circumstances that led to his death.”
Detectives from the sheriff’s Specialized Investigations Division, Homicide Detail responded to the scene.
However, since Keith was not armed at the time of the shooting, the California Department of Justice has assumed control of the investigation under the state’s AB 1506 of 2020.
This article originally appeared on Victorville Daily Press: Family of Lucerne Valley man killed by deputies disputes official claims
Reporting by Brian Day, Victorville Daily Press / Victorville Daily Press
USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect

