A 16-year-old from Detroit has been charged in connection with a weekend shooting downtown that left another teen wounded, according to the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office.
The preliminary hearing for the youth was held Tuesday on charges of carrying a concealed weapon. He received a $4,000 bond with house arrest.
He was also ordered not to possess any firearms or illegal substances. A pre-trial hearing is scheduled for July 2.
A second juvenile male is also in custody in connection with the shooting but has not been charged, the prosecutor’s office said in a release.
There were no other details when the other juvenile was taken into custody. He is currently being held in county juvenile detention and the prosecutor’s office is taking the statutory five-day hold for a juvenile suspect before making a charging decision. The decision must be made by Saturday.
The shooting
The 14-year-old was shot Sunday near the Gucci store on Library Street downtown and sustained non-life-threatening injuries, police said. Detroit Police Chief Todd Bettison said that about 9:40 p.m. Sunday, police learned a teen was shot in the chest. A community violence intervention worker was in the area and began first aid.
Bettison said it appeared two groups of teens came together on Library, just off of Grand River Avenue, and an altercation occurred. A weapon was drawn and fired shots, striking the 14-year-old.
Officers found the 16-year-old on the 600 block of Woodward Avenue downtown carrying a concealed weapon and took him into custody.
The preliminary hearing for the youth was held Tuesday on charges of carrying a concealed weapon. He received a $4,000 bond with house arrest. He was also ordered to not possess any firearms or illegal substances.
There were no other details when the other juvenile was taken into custody. He is currently being held in county juvenile detention and the prosecutor’s office is taking the statutory five-day hold for a juvenile suspect before making a charging decision. The decision must be made by Saturday, according to the prosecutor’s office.
City response to violence
The shooting is the latest incident of teen violence in downtown Detroit that included large brawls. Authorities said it is connected to the national trend of “teen takeovers,” where young people circulate plans on social media to gather en masse in public spaces.
Last month, Detroit Mayor Mary Sheffield and Police Chief Bettison unveiled a six-point community safety plan, which includes focusing on fostering relationships between the police and the city’s young people.
laguilar@detroitnews.com
This article originally appeared on The Detroit News: Detroit youth charged in shooting during downtown ‘teen takeover’
Reporting by Louis Aguilar, The Detroit News / The Detroit News
USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect
