Jamal White
Jamal White
Home » News » National News » Wisconsin » Milwaukee judge nixes plea for teen suspect in 7-year-old's kidnapping
Wisconsin

Milwaukee judge nixes plea for teen suspect in 7-year-old's kidnapping

A Milwaukee County judge rejected a plea deal for a 15-year-old charged in adult court in the abduction last summer of a 7-year-old boy, saying the agreed-to sentence was “not in the interest of justice” for him to accept.

Barry Coleman was 14 when he was charged in December 2025 with felony kidnapping, taking a hostage as a party to a crime and two other felonies related to possession of a firearm in the July 11 abduction of Jamal White, known as “Baby J.”

Video Thumbnail

Court records show prosecutors and Coleman, through his attorney Katherine Holloway, reached a deal on May 15 for Coleman to plead guilty to robbery and serve a 15-year sentence −10 years in prison and five years on extended supervision afterwards.

Circuit Court Judge David Borowski threw out the deal during a May 18 hearing.

“This is a heinous allegation, even for Milwaukee. And that’s saying something,” Borowski said. “Merely saying ‘he’s 15’ is not enough.”

“He actively participates, allegedly, in jumping out of a car, grabbing a 7-year-old in his arms at gunpoint, and throwing him in the back of a car. I’m supposed to take straight robbery? Explain that to me.”

What happened to Jamal White?

Jamal was taken from the 6200 block of West Hustis Street on the city’s northwest side and put into a white Jeep Renegade by an unknown man in a black face mask.

Prosecutors have argued Coleman and two men − 25-year-old Corey Williams and 38-year-old Fabian Johnson − attempted to rob the child’s mother, only to ultimately take Jamal hostage in an attempt to receive a ransom.

Jamal was found about 24 hours later at Williams’ home near North 39th and West Lloyd streets, roughly 6 miles from where the child was last seen.

Coleman initially was charged in the state’s juvenile court system. Prosecutors petitioned for him to be charged in adult court.

Why is Barry Coleman’s case being heard in adult court?

In Wisconsin, a prosecutor, judge or even a defendant may petition for a child aged 14 or older to be “waived” into adult court if they are charged with one of a list of serious crimes. Taking hostages and kidnapping are among those crimes.

Another judge granted the petition on Nov. 25, and adult charges against Coleman were filed Nov. 29, court records show.

A criminal complaint in the case shows Coleman was previously adjudicated, or found guilty, of possession of heroin with intent to deliver as a juvenile, according to the complaint. That means the teen wasn’t allowed to have a firearm for that reason, in addition to his age.

What’s next for Barry Coleman?

Borowski said he would give Holloway and Assistant District Attorney Kenneth Olstinski additional time to negotiate.

Coleman is expected to be back in court May 26 for a status conference.

If convicted on all charges, Coleman faces up to 90 years in prison.

Chris Ramirez covers courts for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. He can be reached at caramirez@gannett.com.

This article originally appeared on Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: Milwaukee judge nixes plea for teen suspect in 7-year-old’s kidnapping

Reporting by Chris Ramirez, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel / Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect

Image

Related posts

Leave a Comment