SHELBY — United Steelworkers Local 3057 has rejected a second contract proposal from ArcelorMittal, according to the union president.
Insurance and wages continue to be points of contention.
“In the latest proposal, the company included attendance-based disqualifiers that would have reduced or eliminated members’ profit-sharing,” Norm Shoemaker said. “The company also proposed changes to insurance eligibility for members’ spouses, requiring any spouse who is employed to take their own employer’s insurance, even if they had been covered under our previous contract.”
Shoemaker said over 80% of the membership voted against the proposal. An earlier proposal was rejected by 99.7% of the membership.
“Additionally, many members expressed serious concerns about the company’s proposed ‘alternative work schedule’ language,” Shoemaker said. “Members believed this language would ultimately decrease their working hours and overall pay.”
He said the union’s negotiating committee is waiting for the company to come to the bargaining table.
No one from ArcelorMittal could be immediately reached for comment.
Local 3057 has been working without a contract since midnight Oct. 31, when the four-year deal expired. The union has been negotiating with the company since Sept. 2.
Members had previously agreed to enter a 10-day extension under the former contract.
ArcelorMittal, better known in Shelby as “The Tuby,” is the world’s leading steel and mining company, with a presence in more than 60 countries and an industrial footprint in 18 countries.
Guided by a philosophy to produce safe, sustainable steel, it is the leading supplier of quality steel in the major global steel markets, including automotive, construction, household appliances and packaging, with world-class research and development and distribution networks.
The company has 450 employees at the Shelby plant, down from 550 at the last contract.
Reporter Lou Whitmire contributed to this story.
mcaudill@gannett.com
419-521-7219
X: @MarkCau32059251
This article originally appeared on Mansfield News Journal: Union steelworkers turn down 2nd contract proposal from ArcelorMittal
Reporting by Mark Caudill, Mansfield News Journal / Mansfield News Journal
USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect

