Workers from Davis Brothers Building Movers gently work to move a building once owned by the Lobdell family to a new location on Titicus Road in North Salem August 30, 1995. The building, once known as the Lobdell store, was built in 1848, and is now designated a historic landmark used by the town of North Salem.
Workers from Davis Brothers Building Movers gently work to move a building once owned by the Lobdell family to a new location on Titicus Road in North Salem August 30, 1995. The building, once known as the Lobdell store, was built in 1848, and is now designated a historic landmark used by the town of North Salem.
Home » News » National News » New York » Lobdell annex in North Salem moved to its third and final spot in 1995
New York

Lobdell annex in North Salem moved to its third and final spot in 1995

North Salem’s government campus took shape in 1995 when the Lobdell annex was moved 200 feet down Titicus Road to join Delancey Hall and the Lobdell House.

The annex, which originally housed a store, a post office and the town courthouse, was built in 1848 across the road.

Video Thumbnail

It had to be moved first in 1893 when New York City claimed all the property along the water for the Titicus Reservoir.

The Aug. 30, 1995 move saw the 45-ton building moved 200 feet. It was lifted off its 102-year-old foundation, placed on wooden blocks and winched to a new foundation over timber blocks. It was then lowered onto a new concrete-block foundation.

Looking to explore The Journal News archives online? Check out lohud.newspapers.com, as well as learn how to sign up for a subscription.

This article originally appeared on Rockland/Westchester Journal News: Lobdell annex in North Salem moved to its third and final spot in 1995

Reporting by Jonathan Bandler, Rockland/Westchester Journal News / Rockland/Westchester Journal News

USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect

Image

By Jonathan Bandler, Rockland/Westchester Journal News | USA TODAY Network

Related posts

Leave a Comment