VENICE – After Venice announced plans to stage the Fourth of July fireworks show from North Brohard Beach because the South Jetty is closed, some area residents have raised concerns on social media that it would impact sea turtle nests.
One Herald-Tribune reader, Tania Willard, said via email that on the beach near Sharky’s On the Pier, “There are dozens of sea turtle nests with hundreds or thousands of eggs.
“The fireworks and crowds must be moved to the beach near town or these nests will be trampled along with hatchings being trampled or going away from the water due to lights.”
Her concerns were echoed on social media – typically attached to announcements of the show, though city officials insist that extra precautions have been taken at North Brohard Beach and other places along the city’s three miles of beachfront.
The 75th annual fireworks display, being funded by Visit Sarasota County and the Venice Pier Group, is scheduled to begin at about 9:15 p.m. July 4.
Why was the show moved?
Since the early 2000s, the contractor staging the fireworks show has been able to use the South Jetty.
But the location change is necessary because damage from the 2024 hurricane season left Humphris Park and the South Jetty inaccessible.
Venice special events and marketing coordinator Brianne Lorenz said via email that the South Jetty location was evaluated again this year but it was found to be “unsafe for the technician and supporting staff, including the fire engine and rescue.”
Before the South Jetty, the show was previously staged from the beach at the old Eastside Wastewater Treatment Plan, just south of the Venice Municipal Fishing Pier – now known as Maxine Barrett Park.
One retired City Council member noted that fireworks were stored under the pier, until the realization that an accident could have destroyed the pier.
In the 1960s, when the Venice Jaycees sponsored the show, it was staged off Venice Beach.
For all those shows – as well as for shows staged at Siesta Key to the north or Manasota Beach to the south – organizers worked around sea turtle nests.
How does the change impact viewing?
Because of the change in location, North Jetty Beach and Nokomis Beach are no longer ideal viewing locations.
The primary suggested viewing locations span from Venice Beach, 101 The Esplanade, south, including Service Club Park; 1190 Harbor Drive S.; North Brohard Beach, 1400 Harbor Drive S.; Maxine Barritt Park, 1800 Harbor Drive S.; Brohard Beach and Paw Park, 1850 Harbor Drive S. (though people are urged to leave their pets at home); and South Brohard Beach, 1900 Harbor Drive S. The Venice Municipal Fishing Pier, 1600 Harbor Drive S., is open for standing room only, with no chairs allowed; Sharky’s on the Pier and Fins at Sharky’s, are limited to restaurant and reservation access.
Venice Pier Group will provide additional food and beverage stations both north and south of the pier from the beachside access points.
Caspersen Beach, 4100 Harbor Drive S., remains closed to vehicle traffic.
Boaters must stay clear of the marked marine blast zone and designated swim areas.
What efforts are taken to protect turtles?
Lorenz noted that prior to every July 4 fireworks show the city provides public education campaigns on social media about limiting beach impacts from Venice Beach south to Caspersen Beach – including filling in all holes, and taking all trash while leaving.
In 2024 fireworks brought nearly 12,000 spectators to area beaches.
North Brohard was picked for its central location, access to restrooms, trash cans and concessions and, Lorenz wrote, because it would be the least impactful to nesting sea turtles.
“These site plans have been coordinated with Sarasota County, FWC, and the FAA to reduce potential impacts to the airport, marine areas, and nesting sea turtles,” Lorenz wrote “The city is also coordinating with Mote to secure an ‘all clear’ before securing the blast zone and loading ordnance onto the beach on the morning of July 4.”
Attendees are urged to give plenty of space to mark sea turtle nests, with Venice Police and Community Resource officers patrolling the beach from the morning of July 4 through the end of the fireworks display.
This article originally appeared on Sarasota Herald-Tribune: New Venice fireworks launch point prompts concern over sea turtle nests
Reporting by Earle Kimel, Sarasota Herald-Tribune / Sarasota Herald-Tribune
USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect


