Home » News » National News » Florida » Dolphins make roster moves in the secondary after losing another CB to IR
Florida

Dolphins make roster moves in the secondary after losing another CB to IR

The Miami Dolphins made a couple roster moves at the cornerback position after a hamstring issue sent veteran Cornell Armstrong to the injured reserve. To fill his place on the active roster, the Dolphins signed second-year defensive back Jordan Colbert from the practice squad.

On Tuesday, the Dolphins auditioned three young, inexperienced cornerbacks, including preseason standout Ethan Robinson, but the team elected to fill its void on the practice squad with veteran Kendall Sheffield.

Video Thumbnail

Sheffield, 29, signed with the Dolphins earlier this year after participating in the team’s rookie minicamp and impressing coaches. The former Atlanta Falcons fourth-round pick was even penciled in as a starting cornerback for Miami on the first depth chart of preseason. But Sheffield was released in final roster cuts at the end of August as the team opted to add veterans Jack Jones and Rasul Douglas to the roster.

Colbert earned a spot on the Dolphins’ initial 53-man roster, but was sent back to the practice squad following the addition of Douglas. The 6’2 safety was elevated to the roster for the Dolphins’ Week 3 game against the Buffalo Bills, his first career regular season game, and participated on special teams.

Earlier Wednesday, Dolphins head coach Mike McDaniel told reporters that Armstrong would move to IR and said the team would add a player to fill the void at nickel cornerback. It’s unclear for now if Colbert, who spent the majority of preseason at free safety, will be that player or if Miami plans to elevated Sheffield on Sunday when the Dolphins face the Los Angeles Chargers.

Armstrong stepped into the slot cornerback role after rookie Jason Marshall Jr., who beat out Mike Hilton for the job in August, landed on injured reserve at the end of September.

This article originally appeared on Dolphins Wire: Dolphins make roster moves in the secondary after losing another CB to IR

Reporting by Adam Stites, Dolphins Wire / Dolphins Wire

USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect

Related posts

Leave a Comment