Lansing — A 50-year-old man from Branch County has been charged with a felony and a misdemeanor after he allegedly contacted the Michigan state Capitol about a tour and said he was thinking about hunting Republicans.
Gabriel Hetrick of Bronson, who made the call on Sept. 17, appeared Thursday for one of his initial hearings before Judge Cynthia Ward of Ingham County’s 54-A District Court, Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel’s office said in a statement.
Hetrick had contacted the state Capitol in September to inquire about a tour, the Attorney General’s office said. During that call, Hetrick said he was “going to start hunting republicans I think,” Nessel’s office alleged.
Hetrick has been charged with one count of making a terroristic threat, which is a felony, and one count of malicious use of a telecommunications service, which is a misdemeanor.
He pleaded not guilty, according to district court records.
Hetrick’s preliminary examination to determine whether the charges will be bound over for trial is currently scheduled for Feb. 19. He was arraigned on Feb. 5.
Nessel, a Democrat, said threats against elected officials are serious crimes that can have severe consequences.
“Public officials must be able to carry out their roles without fear, and my office will continue to hold those who threaten to harm others accountable,” Nessel added.
There’s been a string of charges over threats against Michigan politicians in recent years, including a Wayne County woman who pleaded guilty earlier this month to leaving a profanity-laden and threatening voicemail for Jim Runestad, a state senator and chairman of the state Republican Party.
The most serious charge against Hetrick carries a penalty of up to 20 years in prison.
cmauger@detroitnews.com
This article originally appeared on The Detroit News: Michigan man allegedly said he was thinking about hunting Republicans
Reporting by Craig Mauger, The Detroit News / The Detroit News
USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect


