Update: On May 22, 2026, the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department released a critical incident video depicting the shooting.
Previously:
Nearly 6 months after a man in Franklin was shot and killed by Indianapolis Metropolitan Police SWAT, the Johnson County Prosecutor’s Office announced that the shooting was justified.
On April 13, 2026, Prosecuting attorney, Lance D. Hammer, said no criminal charges will be filed in connection with the November 2025 shooting death of Robert Bido, 37. Both Hammer and Chief Homicide Deputy Prosecutor Matt Kabacki said IMPD SWAT’s actions were defensible.
“After a full and complete review of the investigation conducted by the Indiana State Police, it is abundantly clear that the officers involved acted lawfully and made every reasonable effort to prevent this tragic outcome,” Kubacki said. “Over a prolonged period, officers utilized all available non-lethal options in an attempt to take Mr. Bido into custody safely. We are grateful that no other individuals were harmed as a result of Mr. Bido’s actions that day.”
At 1:30 p.m., on Nov. 25, 2025, IMPD SWAT tracked Bido, who lived in Indianapolis, to the Ryder warehouse parking lot in Franklin near Interstate 65 and State Road 44. SWAT surrounded him in a semi-truck parked outside the warehouse where he was working.
The 38-year-old was a person of interest in an IMPD homicide investigation that happened days before.
He was also wanted for several violent offenses, including domestic battery, criminal confinement while armed, intimidation with a deadly weapon, pointing a firearm, and interference with reporting a crime.
The investigation found that officers attempted to take Bido into custody using non-lethal methods, but Bido refused to comply.
While surrounded by law enforcement, Bido called his boss, stating, “They have me on a homicide,” according to the release by Hammer. When his boss offered to get him an attorney, Bido said, “You sure? I think I want to go out like a G.” Investigators said he later grabbed a shotgun and attempted to exit his semi-truck through the passenger door while pointing the firearm out the window.
That’s when officers Shane Nicholsen, William McInerney and Kyle McCreary fired off a total of 25 rounds into the semi-truck, striking Bido. He was taken to a hospital in critical condition before being pronounced deceased.
Jade Jackson is a Public Safety Reporter for the Indianapolis Star. You can email her at Jade.Jackson@IndyStar.com and follow her on X, formerly Twitter @IAMJADEJACKSON.
This article originally appeared on Indianapolis Star: IMPD releases bodycam video of police shooting of armed truck driver
Reporting by Jade Jackson, Indianapolis Star / Indianapolis Star
USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect

