Editor’s Note: Jack Becker, Librarian Emeritus, TTU Libraries is the editor of Caprock Chronicles. He can be reached at jack.becker@ttu.edu. Today’s article is by Nancy Barr the immediate past president of the Lubbock Women’s Club, which last year celebrated its 80 anniversary.
On Nov. 17, 1944, a city-wide gathering called the Better Citizenship Conference was held at St. John’s Methodist Church.
Its purpose was to bring together the women of Lubbock who were participating in various clubs and organizations.
The discussion centered on women’s responsibilities in community affairs.
One of the topics discussed was the plan for a women’s clubhouse in Lubbock where various groups could meet. A committee was formed to look at building sites, financing, chartering, and operating plans.
On Feb. 10, 1945, the Better Citizenship Conference met, with women for various Lubbock clubs and organizations coming together for a joint session.
The keynote speaker was the Honorable Judge Sarah T. Hughes (the judge who swore in Lyndon B. Johnson as President of the United States aboard the Air Force One following the assassination of President Kennedy).
Following her address, it was moved that the group proceed with the election of a Board of Managers for the purpose of acquiring, maintaining, and operating a headquarters building to house the activities of the varies women’s clubs in Lubbock.
The motion carried and the search for a proper place and the struggle of fundraising began in earnest.
On Feb. 18, 1945, the first Board meeting was held in the home of Mrs. Arch Underwood, who later became a Life Member of the Club. At the meeting twenty-two clubs became charter members. The first minutes record the fact that Mrs. R. O. Short proposed the following: “The name of the club building for Lubbock be called The Lubbock Women’s Club.” The motion carried.
From 1945 to Aug. 10, 1949, the first members worked diligently to keep the organization together, always with the vision of a future clubhouse.
On Aug. 10, 1949, the Plains Funeral Home, located on 2020 Broadway, was purchased for the sum of $50,000.00 to be the clubhouse.
The building was constructed in 1940-41 by Joseph James McLoen, Jr., who designed it in a Colonial Revival style. The two-story structure was considered, at the time, one of the most modern and fully equipped facilities of its kind in Texas—even featuring air conditioning.
It was described as “…an eye-catcher…a large two-story, 17 room-house with greenery against white bricks and large Colonial columns…with an 18-car garage on the north side.”
Since its purchase, the building has undergone numerous renovations. Early changes included the removal of interior partitions to create larger meeting spaces, followed by the addition of the Tea Room in 1957, which replaced the 18-car garage.
In 1951, the east apartment was remodeled for club’s first manager, Mrs. T. G. (Tressa) Harber. Significant repairs were needed after the 1970 tornado which damaged the columns, roof, and walls.
A new kitchen was constructed in 1982 along with a new addition called the Tea Room Annex. During these years, the second-floor apartments were redesigned into a library, board room, card room and offices.
In 1997 a major change to the outward appearance of the Club occurred with the construction of a gazebo plus new landscaping on the southwest side of the building.
Between 1998 and 1999 major structural repairs were undertaken to reinforce cracked beams and correct sloping floors. In recent years the gazebo was replaced with a pergola, and landscaping upgrades include upscale features and artificial turf.
Additional upgrades included updated paint, wallpaper, carpeting, lighting, sound systems, ADA-compliant restrooms, and furnishings.
These preservation efforts have been made possible through the generosity of members. All gifts and donations to the building’s structure, with the exception of the kitchen, are made to the Lubbock Women’s Club Historical Foundation, a 501c3. Since its founding, the Lubbock Women’s Club has proudly served its members, affiliate clubs, and the broader community by providing a beautiful, well-maintained facility, supported by a dedicated staff for meetings, seminars, and entertainment events.
Thanks to ongoing preservation and the generous Welborn-Payne Endowment, the Club has hosted nationally recognized speakers at community events for around 80 years.
In August 1979 the Women’s Club was designated as an historical landmark and, in May 1982, received a plaque from the City Historical Landmark and Historical Preservation Commission.
In December 2000, the Junior Women’s Club (JWC) was established to engage younger women in the traditions and mission of the Club, helping to ensure its continued vitality.
Today, this legacy is proudly carried forward by both the LWC and JWC, entrusted to current members as a meaningful gift.
The building now hosts programs for LWC and JWC members as well as participating clubs. Programs range from music groups, legal associations, study clubs, antique clubs, bridge and Mah Jongg groups, banking interests, and New Neighbors.
The historical records and messages left by former presidents describe how the Lubbock Women’s Club has evolved and expanded over the decades.
While much has changed, the Club’s core purpose has remained the same—to provide a welcoming place where clubs and organizations gather for educational programs, seminars, entertainment, fellowship, and community connection
This article originally appeared on Lubbock Avalanche-Journal: Caprock Chronicles looks at Lubbock Women’s Club’s 80-year history
Reporting by By Nancy Barr, special for the Avalanche-Journal / Lubbock Avalanche-Journal
USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect


By Nancy Barr, special for the Avalanche-Journal | USA TODAY Network
