It’s all fun and games until somebody with a whistle has to make a 50-50 call.
Regardless of interpretation, histrionics are sure to follow.
It’s not surprising the CHSAA’s fire-and-brimstone response to Stepinac’s decision to participate in a non-sanctioned basketball tournament during Holy Week inspired a string of meme-worthy reactions over the last month. The proposed sanctions would’ve derailed a Crusaders program that’s currently the league’s flagbearer.
There’s no question a number of names were taken in vain.
A settlement was reached last week during a meeting that included Stepinac president Father Thomas Collins and principal Paul Carty, CHSAA president Kevin Pigott and Bishop Edmund Whalen from the Archdiocese of New York. By mutual agreement, it was determined Crusaders head coach Pat Massaroni would serve a suspension and all other proposed sanctions would be dropped.
He will miss the first two non-league games and the first five CHSAA games on the schedule next season.
“I’m happy that none of the kids within the program, none of the kids within the Stepinac athletic program will be penalized,” Massaroni said Thursday, May 21. “I’m ultimately disappointed on a personal level with the number of games in my suspension but there essentially was no other way to keep the kids out of it.”
At issue is the Crusaders’ participation in Chipotle Nationals, a prominent event that routinely draws some of the best high school teams in the country. There is no doubt every player on the roster wanted to be a part of the televised showcase outside Indianapolis after sticking together over four years.
It was an opportunity for a traditional high school with curated players to show it could run with academy teams.
Stepinac checked in with the CHSAA three weeks ahead of the event to discuss the situation, contending that Chipotle Nationals was a continuation of the season as long as the Crusaders won an unprecedented fourth straight ‘City’ title along with the Mayor’s Cup game against the PSAL champion.
“We were given permission in early March,” Massaroni said. “If we were to win out, we were permitted to go to Chipotle Nationals. We proceeded to win out. After the field was announced, we were then informed that we would not be allowed to go and if we did go, we would be sanctioned. However, that was weeks after verbal permission was given.”
It’s unclear who signed off initially, but Massaroni noted the go ahead came from the CHSAA’s executive committee. Pigott declined to comment, indicating the league may have more to say on the situation in the future.
“At that point, we felt it was the right thing for these kids was for us to proceed with what we were told initially, that we were allowed to go,” Massaroni added. “In addition to that, we went ahead and detached like many other teams in and outside the CHSAA have done across multiple sports.”
That’s a workaround.
Detached programs essentially go independent and will not use a school’s name or resources during these postseason championships. It’s fair to say the CHSAA’s policy on this front has been inconsistent.
To go or not to go
A lack of communication may have complicated matters.
“The league told Stepinac yes, waited two and a half weeks, did not answer at least two phone calls, and two days before the tournament told them not to go,” said Robert K. Holdman, an attorney who is representing Massaroni.
Stepinac played SPIRE Academy on April 1 and lost 87-76, finishing the season with a 26-5 record and the No. 16 ranking in the final ESPN boys high school basketball top 25.
A letter from Pigott dated April 21 spelled out the sanctions the CHSAA executive committee recommended. They included two years of probation for the entire Stepinac athletic program, a ban on travel outside the state for the varsity basketball team, a ban on postseason participation for all of the school’s basketball teams and an eight-game suspension from league games for Massaroni.
Those are eye-popping stipulations.
First, the proposed sanctions unfairly punished student-athletes who had nothing to do with the decision to ignore an explicit order not to go. Second, kneecapping a CHSAA team attempting to compete with academy programs that are snatching up next-level players who once made the entire league nationally relevant, was counterintuitive.
To be clear, at least one rule was broken. Stepinac participated in an event that was not sanctioned by the National Federation of High Schools.
It’s spelled out in black and white that CHSAA member schools are prohibited from participating in non-sanctioned events. Yes, that healthy and safety net which also protects the amateur status of student-athletes is antiquated. It was put in place long before swag bags and NIL money were a thing, but you can’t alter the rules in the middle of the game.
Block or charge?
Stepinac was rightly whistled for a foul.
A seven-game suspension is steep, but Massaroni was the driving force behind the Crusaders’ invitation to play Chipotle Nationals. It was part of a national schedule that enticed talented players like Jasiah Jervis (Michigan State), Hassan Koureissi (Fordham) and Darius and Adonis Ratliff (USC) to stick around. Massaroni, though, is taking one for the proverbial team because there is no denying the impact success on the court has on alumni giving, so the entire school benefits when the Crusaders are in the national spotlight.
“It was my position to fight or at least have that suspension reduced,” Holdman said. “Pat was not engaged in the initial decision making. He was following the OK from his board and school officials but he’s the one being penalized. Pat is taking the high road because the most important thing to him is that the kids don’t have this hanging over them. … If it was up to me, I would file suit tomorrow.”
While the CHSAA needs a torch bearer in a time of transition. Stepinac has to operate within the framework of the current bylaws, which because of all the hoopla may be getting a once over with an eye toward realigning some league bylaws to better align with a changing landscape.
That would be a godsend.
“It was very important to the administration, the board and myself that that was part of the final resolution as we look to modernize how athletics go forward, specifically in the basketball space,” Massaroni said. “To me, that’s a huge deal.”
Would the league benefit from a binding agreement to send its AAA boys and girls champions to a specific national postseason tournament each year?
Heck, yes.
The schedule is not in place yet, but Stepinac will again be playing in the national spotlight.
Nine players graduated on Thursday, but the Crusaders are expecting to have Josh Rivera back and it would not be a surprise if a handful of transfers come in to join players coming up from a very strong junior varsity team.
“We’re going to be on the national stage again,” Massaroni said. “We’re in discussions to be part of some really high-profile games in and outside New York.”
Associate head coach Rodney Swain is dealing with ongoing health issues, so if he’s not on the sideline when the season tips off, longtime assistant coach Al Sheppard will be in charge while Massaroni serves the suspension.
Mike Dougherty covers high school basketball and writes sports commentary for The Journal News/lohud.
This article originally appeared on Rockland/Westchester Journal News: Stepinac committed a foul but it’s time for a review | Dougherty
Reporting by Mike Dougherty, Rockland/Westchester Journal News / Rockland/Westchester Journal News
USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect


