Washington Township ― A real estate company has withdrawn its application for a potential data center in Washington Township, but indicated that it may return with another proposal in the future.
Prologis, a San Francisco-based real estate company, proposed developing a technical campus on 312 acres south of 32 Mile Road last year. Washington Township Supervisor Sam Previti posted on Facebook on Tuesday that the company has now withdrawn its rezoning application, and the matter will be removed from the township’s June 11 planning commission agenda.
Before it was withdrawn, the proposal faced significant pushback from residents of Washington Township and neighboring communities who were worried about how it might impact the surrounding area.
Corinne Graper, one of the leaders of the opposition to the proposal, said she and others are celebrating Prologis’ decision to withdraw its application, but noted that a letter from the company’s attorney indicates that “they intend to come back” after the township revises its zoning ordinance.
“We won’t be taking our eyes off the ball, and we must get a moratorium in place now before another applicant can come in,” she said, referring to a temporary moratorium on the review of data center applications by the township. Several Metro Detroit communities have passed such moratoriums. Proposals for data centers, which are warehouses of computing equipment that are used to power the internet, have cropped up across Michigan. Prologis submitted a conditional rezoning application for the development of a technical campus and data center on over 312 acres of land in Washington Township in November, but withdrew those conditions in December.
Prologis then asked for a straight rezoning of the property ― making it an “Industrial – Research – Technology” zoning district. The district allows for industrial and research facilities.
Attorney Robert W. Kirk with Kirk, Huth, Lange & Badalamenti, PLC, a firm that is representing Prologis, said in a May 19 letter to the township’s planning and zoning director that the company would like to withdraw its application at this time.
“We will, most likely, wait until the Township adopts its ordinance to proceed,” he said.
The Washington Township Board of Trustees voted unanimously in February to direct the planning commission to review the provisions of the township’s zoning ordinance regarding the regulation of data centers and consider changes, if necessary. The commission will also conduct a public hearing on any proposed changes and provide a recommendation to the seven-member board for consideration.
“While we have withdrawn the application to allow for the ordinance to be completed, the site has long been intended for industrial use,” said Prologis spokesperson Mattie Sorrentino in a statement. “Our team continues to evaluate development options for the property.”
Previti, the township supervisor, said Tuesday that he appreciates “the many residents who have remained engaged, respectful, and involved throughout this process.”
“Washington Township is strongest when residents participate, ask questions, and stay informed,” he said. “My commitment remains ensuring transparency, protecting our community’s interests, and working together toward responsible planning decisions for the future of our Township.”
asnabes@detroitnews.com
This article originally appeared on The Detroit News: Washington Township data center application withdrawn
Reporting by Anne Snabes, The Detroit News / The Detroit News
USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect

