(This story has been updated to add a statement from Richard Childress Racing.)
The latest attempt at the vaunted “Double” between the Indianapolis 500 and NASCAR’s longest race will go on without one of auto racing’s biggest stars, one who has spent many years trying to compete in both races in one day.
Kyle Busch was hospitalized with what was described as a “severe illness,” causing the two-time Cup Series champion to pull out of the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway on Sunday. The announcement came via the driver’s official social media accounts late Thursday morning.
“Kyle has experienced a severe illness resulting in hospitalization,” the post read. “He is currently undergoing treatment and will not compete in any of his scheduled activities this weekend at Charlotte Motor Speedway. We ask for understanding and privacy as our family navigates this situation.”
Buy our Dale Earnhardt book
Busch won the NASCAR Cup Series in 2015 and 2019. He earned pole position at the 2026 Daytona 500, finishing 15th in the Great American Race, and has two top-10 finishes on the NASCAR Cup circuit this season, most recently at Watkins Glen on May 10. Near the end of the race, Busch requested medical attention from his team.
His team, Richard Childress Racing, announced Austin Hill would race in the No. 8 car at Charlotte. “Kyle Busch’s health is our upmost priority and he and his family have the full resources of RCR behind them,” RCR said in a statement posted to social media. “Kyle is an integral part of our organization and we wish him a safe and speedy recovery. His No. 8 Chevrolet will be ready and waiting for him. We’re thankful to Austin Hill for stepping in to drive the No. 8 Chevrolet this weekend. Please keep Kyle and the Busch family in your prayers, and help us respect the family’s privacy at this time.”
Kyle Busch has wanted to race Indianapolis 500
The withdrawal is the latest surprising news around the biggest weekend in racing after Katherine Legge announced she would be the first woman to attempt “The Double,” competing in the Indy 500 in the afternoon before flying to North Carolina for the evening’s NASCAR race. Legge would be the sixth person to pull off the feat.
It’s something Busch has talked for years about doing. He had permission from sponsors to attempt “The Double” in 2017 before Joe Gibbs, his racing team’s owner, put his foot down, Busch told Denny Hamlin on his podcast last year. He said he also had a deal lined up in 2024 before Kyle Larson stepped in. His older brother, Kurt Busch, pulled it off in 2014, coming in sixth at Indy and 40th at Charlotte.
How to watch Coke 600
How to watch Indy 500
This article originally appeared on The Daytona Beach News-Journal: As Katherine Legge preps for ‘Double,’ a champ who tried is forced out
Reporting by Dan Rorabaugh, USA TODAY NETWORK – Florida / The Daytona Beach News-Journal
USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect

