New York Giants running back Cam Skattebo is aiming to return for the team’s season opener against the Dallas Cowboys on Sept. 13.
The second-year back suffered a season-ending injury in Week 8 last year when he broke his right fibula and dislocated his right ankle against the Philadelphia Eagles, an injury that required emergency surgery.
Speaking at the Giants’ annual Town Hall event at the Beacon Theatre in New York City on Monday night, Skattebo updated fans on his recovery progress ahead of the start of organized team activities. While acknowledging the challenges of rehabilitation, including mental hurdles in fully trusting the ankle again, he expressed optimism.
“Obviously, there’s ups and downs in the injury process and coming back and rehabbing, but the mental battle has been the hardest part: Making sure that I trust it fully,” Skattebo said. “I’m a little ways out. Not too far, but I’ll be ready to go. Week 1, I’ll be ready to go.”
The 24-year-old fourth-round pick from Arizona State showed promise as a rookie, rushing for 410 yards and five touchdowns on 101 carries in eight games, along with 207 receiving yards and two scores. He downplayed that output, telling the crowd he expects significantly more production over a full 17-game season.
“I do not consider that successful for me,” Skattebo said of his rookie season. “I had 400 yards on 100 carries. When I play 17-plus games this year, it’s going to be 300 carries for over 2,000 yards.”
That comment drew loud applause from the fans in attendance.
General manager Joe Schoen and coach John Harbaugh have indicated hopes for Skattebo’s return during training camp. The running back remains focused on a strong comeback, drawing applause from fans eager for his contribution to the Giants’ backfield.
This article originally appeared on Giants Wire: New York Giants’ Cam Skattebo targeting Week 1 return
Reporting by Dan Benton, Giants Wire / Giants Wire
USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect

