A mystery that baffled is friends and neighbors for years is closer to a resolution as human remains idenfied as a missing 78-year-old man are found and identified.
The Fort Myers Police Department announced on Monday, May 18, that the remains Porter Albert, last seen six years ago, were found.
The police department told the News-Press that it “cannot release where his remains were found or when at this time.”
Albert had last been seen inside the Big Lots department store at 13970 North Cleveland Avenue in North Fort Myers at around 6:45 p.m. January 15, 2020.
A woman who called herself a friend was stopped by Cape Coral Police while driving Albert’s silver Lexus without a license. She told them she took the car to look for Albert, who had been missing for a week.
When detectives went to Albert’s home after the incident they had found that his home was unsecured and unoccupied but with no signs of forced entry.
His cell phone was inside the home.
According to the Charley Project, a project profiling unsolved missing persons, Albert is survived by two adult children.
The police department is now seeking information from the community about Albert’s disappearance, movements or final whereabouts.
In spring of 2020, investigators haven’t ruled out foul play or if Albert went off on his own, but it is suspicious that he left without his phone or vehicles.
Detectives said Albert was known to frequent the areas around Big Lots and often helped those in need.
Anyone who has information is asked to contact the Fort Myers Police Department at 239-321-7700 or Southwest Florida Crime Stoppers at 1-800-780-TIPS.
Tayeba Hussein is a breaking news reporter for The News-Press & Naples Daily News. Reach her at thussein@usatodayco.com.
Please support Southwest Florida community journalism and stay informed about Southwest Florida news by subscribing to The News-Press and Naples Daily News; download the free News-Press or Naples Daily News app, and sign up for daily briefing email newsletter, food & dining and growth & development newsletters here and here.
This article originally appeared on Fort Myers News-Press: Human remains found, identified as missing person in 6-year cold case
Reporting by Tayeba Hussein, Fort Myers News-Press & Naples Daily News / Fort Myers News-Press
USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect
