NASCAR’s winningest team just acquired the sport’s top prospect.
After Alex Bowman retires following the 2027 Cup Series season, Connor Zilisch will take over the No. 48 Chevrolet, Hendrick Motorsports announced Monday. It’s a multi-year contract that begins in 2028.
“Connor is a truly gifted young racer,” team owner Rick Hendrick said in a news release. “His talent behind the wheel is exceptional, but I’m even more impressed by the person he is. When someone with that kind of ability and character becomes available, you do everything you can to bring them into your organization.
“We have tremendous confidence in Connor, and we believe he’s the right driver to build on the legacy of the No. 48 Ally team for many years to come.”
Buy our Dale Earnhardt book here
At just 20 years old, Zilisch is in the middle of his rookie season at NASCAR’s highest level. He debuted with three Cup Series starts in 2025 before making the full-time jump with Trackhouse Racing this season.
It hasn’t gone the way Zilisch has hoped. He sits 34th in the standings with just one top-10 and eight DNFs.
But he’s still viewed as a superstar in the making.
In 2025, he dominated the O’Reilly Auto Parts Series with Hendrick-affiliated JR Motorsports, including 10 wins and 18 consecutive top-five finishes. While moonlighting on that circuit this year, Zilisch has claimed two more victories in nine starts.
He had been rumored to the 48 car since Bowman signed a one-year extension and set a retirement date last month.
“This is one of those moments you dream about as a kid,” Zilisch said. “Hendrick Motorsports has always represented the standard in our sport, and being entrusted to help continue that legacy means everything to me … I’m grateful for the confidence they’ve shown in me, and it’s my job to prove they made the right decision.”
(This story has been updated to add more information.)
This article originally appeared on The Daytona Beach News-Journal: Hendrick Motorsports hires NASCAR’s top youngster as Alex Bowman replacement
Reporting by Chris Vinel, Daytona Beach News-Journal / The Daytona Beach News-Journal
USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect
By Chris Vinel, Daytona Beach News-Journal | USA TODAY Network
