May 9, 2026; Watkins Glen, New York, USA; NASCAR Cup Series driver Kyle Busch looks on during practice and qualifying for the Go Bowling at The Glen at Watkins Glen International. Mandatory Credit: Matthew O'Haren-Imagn Images
May 9, 2026; Watkins Glen, New York, USA; NASCAR Cup Series driver Kyle Busch looks on during practice and qualifying for the Go Bowling at The Glen at Watkins Glen International. Mandatory Credit: Matthew O'Haren-Imagn Images
Home » News » National News » Florida » Kyle Busch cause of death announced in family statement
Florida

Kyle Busch cause of death announced in family statement

Kyle Busch died of a “severe pneumonia that progressed into sepsis, resulting in rapid and overwhelming associated complications,” according to a statement released by his family on May 23.

The NASCAR legend died suddenly on May 21 at age 41. He was hospitalized on May 20 after coughing up blood, being short of breath and very hot, and laying on the bathroom floor at the General Motors Charlotte Technical Center, according to the 911 call obtained by USA TODAY.

Video Thumbnail

Busch, a two-time Cup Series champion who carried the nickname “Rowdy,” is the winningest driver in the history of the sport across its top three national circuits. He claimed 63 Cup races, which ranks ninth all-time, while also topping the O’Reilly Auto Parts Series (102) and Truck Series (69) leaderboards.

His final victory occurred in the Truck race at Dover on May 15, just days before he died.

Busch had been battling health issues in recent weeks. Near the end of the May 10 Cup Series race at Watkins Glen, he was heard on the Fox broadcast requesting medical assistance after finishing. “Can somebody try to find Bill Heisel?” he said on his team radio. “Tell him I need him after the race, please.” Busch was later heard requesting a shot of some kind.

Fox broadcaster Mike Joy said Busch had been battling a “sinus cold” throughout the week leading up to Watkins Glen. At Dover, Busch told reporters his cough was “still not great.”

Since Busch’s death, tributes have poured in from around the sports world. NASCAR observed a moment of silence before the start of the Truck Series race on May 22 before it was postponed by rain.

Richard Childress Racing also announced it was suspending the use of Busch’s No. 8 car, instead running the No. 33 this weekend at Charlotte and beyond. The organization added the No. 8 is reserved for Busch’s 11-year-old son, Brexton, “when he is ready to go NASCAR racing.”

Busch is survived by wife Samantha, son Brexton and daughter Lennix. In the statement, the family asked for continued understanding and privacy.

— Dan Rorabaugh contributed to this report

This article originally appeared on The Daytona Beach News-Journal: Kyle Busch cause of death announced in family statement

Reporting by Chris Vinel, Daytona Beach News-Journal / The Daytona Beach News-Journal

USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect

Image

Related posts

Leave a Comment