Detroit Police Chief Todd Bettison is shown discussing a shooting Sunday, May 17, 2026, in downtown Detroit.
Detroit Police Chief Todd Bettison is shown discussing a shooting Sunday, May 17, 2026, in downtown Detroit.
Home » News » Local News » Michigan » After teen is shot downtown, Detroit police stress curfew enforcement
Michigan

After teen is shot downtown, Detroit police stress curfew enforcement

A 14-year-old boy was shot in downtown Detroit over the weekend as officials continue to grapple with teens congregating in the city.

The 14-year-old was expected to recover after being shot in the chest about 9:40 p.m. Sunday, May 17, in the area of Library Street and Grand River Avenue, Detroit Police Chief Todd Bettison said at the scene that evening. Two older teens were taken into custody.

Video Thumbnail

Two groups of teens had come together on Library Street and an altercation took place, the police chief said.

One teen “decided to settle it with a firearm” and fired multiple shots, the chief said.

A Community Violence Intervention team member was nearby and able to provide first aid to the 14-year-old boy, the chief said. A weapon was recovered, and a 16-year-old and a 17-year-old were detained.

It comes as city officials ramp up efforts to stem summer violence, offer teens safe evening activities, and keep youth from swarming downtown as they did earlier in the year, startling business owners and running into police.

Bettison highlighted the city’s teen curfew – 10 p.m. for youth under 15 and 11 p.m. for teens 16 to 17 – and shared a warning for parents.

“We’re going to hold parents accountable, as well,” the chief said, later noting: “You need to know where your children are.”

Just on Saturday, May 17, 60 teens were detained downtown, the chief said.

The police department, in a release, stated more teens were also taken into custody at Palmer Park, and noted that of the 109 overall detained, all but two were for curfew violations. Two others were for disorderly conduct and tobacco possession. Officers also issued 15 parental responsibility citations. Multiple juveniles were not from Detroit.

Updated numbers for the whole weekend were not immediately available.

Any parent or guardian whose child is found to violate curfew will also get a ticket when they come to pick up their kid, Detroit Police Department Media Director Jasmin Barmore said. Any incident with a gun will also be reviewed by the county prosecutor.

Parents face a $250 fine for a first offense of their child breaking curfew, and a $500 fine for a repeat offense.

Police will be increasing their enforcement efforts, Bettison said

“Detroit is a happening city, it’s a fun city, but I’m going to make sure it’s a safe city as well,” he said.

This article originally appeared on Detroit Free Press: After teen is shot downtown, Detroit police stress curfew enforcement

Reporting by Darcie Moran, Detroit Free Press / Detroit Free Press

USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect

Image

Related posts

Leave a Comment