Local News

The Life and Times of a Book Called “Sherman” Part 4

By Derek Smith

By Derek Smith and Sarah Sherman Jett 

Part 4

My name is “Loren A. Sherman and Family, Personal Sketches and Memoranda.” I am a book about the life of Loren A. Sherman and the Sherman family.

All my friends call me “Sherman”; that is the moniker we will use for this writing.

Advertisements – Click the Speaker Icon for Audio

And so, Sherman begins Part 4 of his story: 

I left on my new journey to the “Ted” and Fanny Sherman home on McCall Street in San Diego the following day.

We boarded the Santa Fe Southern (the old Surf Line) in Los Angeles for a beautiful rail ride along the Pacific Coast to San Diego.

I was amazed at the many colors of blue the ocean painted, and

how the blues became white as its waves broke along the rocky shoreline.

The house on McCall Street was an immaculate white stucco sporting a hat of red tile. The residence sat on a hill in Coronado overlooking beautiful San Diego Bay. The view from the comfortable veranda of the Sherman House presented a continuous parade of naval vessels and commercial ship traffic.

The office area where I found my place captured these images and views of the North Island Naval air station.

It is from this area at Rockwell Field, May 9th, 1927, on the North Island of Coronado; Charles Lindberg would depart for New York in his “Spirit of St. Louis,” a custom-made monoplane built in San Diego. 

On May 20th, 1927, he would begin his historic non-stop solo transatlantic flight from New York to Paris.

I wish I could have been in New York to witness this epic moment in aviation history and grant this young hero a safe and uneventful flight.

He would complete his air journey in 33 hours and 30 minutes, flown without any accurate view out the front of the plane.

When Lindberg’s wheels touched down at Orly Airport, Paris, on May 21, 1927, the inception of international travel had arrived. 

Certainly, a fantastic achievement by this young 25-year-old pilot!

Further on this topic, one of my new “west coast” book friends told me that San Diego was the birthplace of naval aviation! On January 28th, 1911, Ted Ellyson took off in a Curtis “grass cutter” plane and became the first United States naval aviator.

Lots of impressive naval history here on the west coast!

Frederick (Ted) C. Sherman was born in Port Huron, Michigan, on May 22nd, 1888.

He was the son of Frederick Ward and Charlotte Sherman and the grandson of Loren and Estella Sherman. He attended local schools and later graduated from the United States Naval Academy in 1910.

Ted’s wife, Fanny Jessop Sherman, was born in Lythan, England. Fanny was 11 months old when she and the Jessop family immigrated from England to Miramar, San Diego. They would arrive on the S. S. Servia at the Ellis Island immigration center on September 1, 1890.

                                    Lythan, England, early 1900’s

Armand de Jessop (14), Joseph Jessop (39), Sarah Jessop (19), Richard Jessop in the wheelbarrow (4), Mary Carter Jessop (mother 38) carrying baby Linda (1), James Jessop (6), Fanny Jessop (2), Violet Jessop (8), Alonzo de Jessop (10)

The Jessop family left behind a successful jewelry business in Lythan, England, where they were watchmakers of an exacting nature.

Joseph and Mary Jessop in Front of Their Jewelry Store in Lythan, England. Circa 1898

The Jessop family would continue their trade, opening a watch repair shop in San Diego.

In 1905 they built a famous clock and placed it in front of their store

in downtown San Diego. It has since been designated a historic landmark by the city of San Diego.

Frederick C. Sherman and his wife Fanny were married at Christ Church at Coronado Beach on November 22, 1915.

They would honeymoon in Honolulu, Hawaii.

In August of 1924, Ted and Fanny would have a son John. 

The stucco house on McCall Street attracted many fascinating people and housed many new book friends, some of whom would become close friends.

Several visitors were of military fame, including Admirals Nimitz, McCain, Fitch, and Halsey.

RAdm. Ted Sherman and Vice Admiral John Mc Cain Sr

               at a Pacific Base in 1944

The conversations centered mainly around the Navy and were always informative, intelligent, and sometimes intense.

As Frederick Sherman moved up the ranks in the Navy, so did our travel.

The journeys to Pearl Harbor in Hawaii during the late 1920s were long but always enjoyable.

Here, I learned about the Hawaiian Islands’ remarkable history and the Hawaiian people’s culture, and I was astounded by the islands’ beauty.

 Little did we know then that the Japanese would bomb Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, killing more than 2400 brave American military personnel and drawing the United States into World War 2.

Nearly 20 American Naval vessels were destroyed or damaged, including 300 aircraft.

Fortunately, the United States fleet of aircraft carriers was absent from Pearl Harbor during the Japanese attack. The USS Lexington, which Ted Sherman commanded, was on its way to Midway with a cargo of dive bombers for the small garrison stationed there.

A little later in history, on August 21st, 1959, President Dwight Eisenhower signed a proclamation admitting Hawaii’s statehood to the Union.

In 1930 we would move to Chevy Chase Boulevard in Washington, D.C.

The nation’s capital was undoubtedly the center of American history.

I marveled at the many historic buildings housing hundreds of government departments that guided our great country as a solid and unified nation.

The 1930s found us living back on McCall Street.

I was always happy to return to our home in San Diego. It was there that I found great peace and contentment and where I discovered more time for reflection.

In addition, it is there that I had the satisfaction of watching young John Sherman grow up.

In 1932, when he was eight years old, John was presented with an adorable black cocker spaniel. His name was “Wags,” and I assume he inherited that title due to the continuous back-and-forth movement of his friendly tail. An adorable puppy he was and a great addition to the family.

 The story of Wags and his life’s adventures would be carried forward in a book written by Fanny Sherman, and it would become one of my favorite book friends!

To be continued..

Related posts

Adopt-A-Road/Park program soars in Algonac

Barb Pert Templeton

EGLE announces $320,000 grant opportunity for community solar projects

“Hops for Hospice” Event Raises Glasses and Funds for McLaren Hospice 

Blue Water Healthy Living

Leave a Comment