A local sheriff with more than 26 years of service under his belt announced this week his intention to retire at the end of the year.
Kenton County Sheriff Charles “Chuck” Korzenborn said in a public letter that his last day in office will be Dec. 31, 2025, a year before his term ends.
“I have never taken your confidence for granted and have been grateful for the deputies and staff who have stood shoulder-to-shoulder with me,” the Republican wrote.
Sheriff mourns wife’s passing
He also said the passing of his wife in June was a reminder to him of what’s important in life.
“The past year has also been a deeply personal one. With the recent passing of my beloved wife, Ruth, my partner in life for 62 years, I have spent much time in reflection. Ruth devoted her life to our family and to serving others and her loss has reminded me that there is a season for every part of life, including public service,” he wrote.
Who’s running for sheriff
So far, two Republicans have filed to run for Kenton County sheriff: Larry Shelton and Jude Hehman, Mayor of Fort Mitchell.
Korzenborn, who has known the Hehman family for 75 years, endorsed Hehman for the role.
“I have watched Jude lead Fort Mitchell with transparency, common sense, and with a strong commitment to public safety,” Korzenborn wrote. “I am confident he will continue the traditions and success that we have built with the Kenton County Sheriff’s Office.”
This article originally appeared on Cincinnati Enquirer: Sheriff announces retirement after more than 26 years
Reporting by Jolene Almendarez, Cincinnati Enquirer / Cincinnati Enquirer
USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect


