A 14-year-old has been arrested in connection to a double shooting in Over-the-Rhine that killed a man three months prior.
Cincinnati police said in a news release they arrested the 14-year-old on Sept. 18 after 30-year-old Brandon Lawrence died in a shooting near the Shell gas station on the corner of Walnut and Liberty streets on June 12.
Officers arrived at the scene at around 12:35 a.m. and found Lawrence suffering from a gunshot wound. Cincinnati fire personnel took him to the University of Cincinnati Medical Center where he succumbed to his injuries.
Another man was also shot, sustaining non-life-threatening injuries before taking himself to Christ Hospital.
The man previously told The Enquirer – on the condition of anonymity because he fears retaliation – he is a rideshare driver who was struck as he was driving by. A bullet came through his windshield and hit him in the shoulder, he said.
The 14-year-old’s charges have not been announced as of the evening of Sept. 18. The Enquirer does not name juveniles accused of crimes unless their cases have been transferred to adult court.
Police said the investigation into the shooting is ongoing and anyone with information is asked to contact the homicide unit at 513-352-3542.
For years, the area surrounding the Shell gas station in between Vine and Walnut streets has been a hot spot for criminal activity.
As an example, 10 years ago, Cincinnati police were stopping at the Shell an average of 2.5 times per day. While that average has improved, officers still make an average of two visits every day to the gas station, according to an Enquirer review of calls for service earlier this summer.
This article originally appeared on Cincinnati Enquirer: 14-year-old arrested in connection to Over-the-Rhine double shooting that killed man
Reporting by Aaron Valdez and David Ferrara, Cincinnati Enquirer / Cincinnati Enquirer
USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect
