By Derek Elles
Below are statistics about missions and missionaries taken from multiple sources. The majority of this information is hard to believe, which is why I wanted to share it, hopefully revealing the picture of missionary work across the globe.
- In 1985, there were over 35,000 career missionaries; in 2015, there were over 50,000 sent from North America.
- Today there is over 400,000 missionaries worldwide, 309,315 to the Reached.
- 81% of the world’s Hindu, Muslims, and Buddhists do not personally know a Christian.
- For every 30 missionaries, 1 will go to an unreached people group.
- Tribal: 1 missionary for every 60,000
- Hindus: 1 missionary for every 79,000
- Unreligious: 1 missionary for every 71,000
- Muslims: 1 missionary for every 405,500
- Buddhists: 1 missionary for every 260,000
- “Unreached people” means less than 2% Evangelical Christians in the people group.
- There are over 6,700 unreached people groups in the world, which translates to over 3.19 billion people who have not heard the Gospel.
- There are approximately 13,315 missionaries to the unreached.
- Muslim unreached people groups are most in need of missionaries.
- Over 40% of people groups in the world are not reached.
- 351 people groups in China do not have a Bible in their language.
- Indonesia has the most Muslim people in the world: 238,000,000.
- 25 people groups in Afghanistan do not have the Bible in their language.
- People give $45 billion dollars yearly to missions, which is the equivalent of what is spent on diet programs in America.
- Christians earn over $42 trillion dollars a year and give over $700,000 billion a year to causes of any kind and 6.4% to missions
- $450 million of money given to missions goes towards unreached people groups
- $20.3 billion is given to Christian nations.
- Americans spend more on Halloween costumes for pets then missions.
- For every $100,000 that Christians make, they give $1 to the unreached.
As you can see, missions does not seem to be a priority in the life of the average Christian. When considering Christians claim to be of the same body, and that body is called to carry out the mission of Christ, much more needs to be done.
Until week. Blessings in Yahweh’s grace, mercy, and peace.
Advertisements - Click the Speaker Icon for Audio
#MissionsMonday #Christianity #BodyOfChrist