Two local non-profits hosting dinner on Thanksgiving Day
By Barb Pert Templeton
Families in need in St. Clair County and beyond will be able to pick-up free turkeys with boxes that include all the trimmings for a holiday meal at several locations in the days leading up to Thanksgiving. There are also options for enjoying a free dinner on Thanksgiving Day.
Here are the dates, times and places:
- Community Wesleyan Church: The church will be distributing Thanksgiving food boxes, including free turkeys, on Wednesday, Nov. 22 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. The church is located at 2415 Gratiot, Marysville. Call (810) 388-1347 for more information.
- Down River Helping Hands: There’s still time to stop in at Down River Helping Hands in Marine City and sign up to receive a Thanksgiving food basket. The cutoff date for getting on the list is Saturday, Nov. 18. Per the organizations Facebook Page pickup of the baskets will be on Sunday, Nov. 19 from 1 until 3 p.m. Note to add: Hours are Wednesday, Friday, and Saturdays 10am till 1pm.
- Marysville Fire Department and SOS Food Pantry: The 11th Annual Thanksgiving Turkey and Food Distribution will be held on Saturday, Nov. 18 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. In a statement on Facebook the Fire Department stated: “Our Fire Department along with many other generous sponsors are working with the SOS Food Pantry in this11th Annual Thanksgiving Turkey Food distribution.” There’s no need to sign up in advance for the food or show any identification when picking it up. The Fire Department is located 1355 Delaware Avenue, Marysville. For more information call at (810)364-6611.
Places to dine-in for free on Thursday, Nov. 23 – Thanksgiving Day
- The Salvation Army in Port Huron: will hold its annual community Thanksgiving dinner from noon to 2 p.m. on Nov. 23. Dawn, with the Salvation Army said the dinner is free and includes the traditional Thanksgiving menu. The meals are catered and they usually serve about 200 people. Carry outs can be picked-up to go as well. The Salvation Army is located at 2000 Court St., Port Huron.
- The Blue Water Recovery Outreach Center: will hold a free community “Friendsgiving” Thanksgiving dinner from noon to 2 p.m. on Nov. 23. The meal will include turkey, stuffing and mashed potatoes. BWROC is located at 617 10th St. in Port Huron. For more information call (810)689-4858.
- Trinity Lutheran Church in Richmond: Free Community Thanksgiving Dinner on November 23, 2023 from 2 to 5 p.m.. Dine in or Carry Out. Trinity Lutheran Church is located at 35110 Division Road.
Romeo Masonic Hall in Romeo: Community Thanksgiving Dinner on November 23 from 12 to 3 p.m. Masonic Hall is located at 231 Main Street in Romeo.