MUNCIE, IN — Muncie police are investigating a local man’s fatal shooting.
According to Melissa Criswell, a deputy chief for the Muncie Police Department, emergency dispatchers at 7:35 a.m. on Wednesday, June 18, received a report of a shooting at a home in the 1700 block of East Centennial Avenue.
Police and Muncie Fire Department emergency medical personnel found a 39-year-old man at that location who had been shot.
The shooting victim was taken by ambulance to IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, Criswell said.
The deputy chief said a “male subject” is being held “in connection to this investigation.”
“There is no continued threat to the community,” she said. The investigation is continuing.
Delaware County Coroner Gavin Greene said an autopsy will be conducted this week at the hospital.
Anyone with related information is asked to call the MPD detective division at 765-747-4867 or police dispatchers at 765-747-4838.
The shooting was Delaware County’s fourth homicide of 2025. The county saw a total of three homicides in 2024.
Douglas Walker is a news reporter at The Star Press. Contact him at 765-213-5851 or at dwalker@muncie.gannett.com.
This article originally appeared on Muncie Star Press: Muncie police investigate man’s fatal shooting; suspect in custody
Reporting by Douglas Walker, Muncie Star Press / Muncie Star Press
USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect

