Missing 83-year-old man, Reginald Vardon, last seen on State Route 96 in the Village of Victor, according to police.
Missing 83-year-old man, Reginald Vardon, last seen on State Route 96 in the Village of Victor, according to police.
Home » News » National News » New York » Remains found in Victor identified as man missing since July 2024
New York

Remains found in Victor identified as man missing since July 2024

The human skeletal remains found earlier this week in the Town of Victor have been identified as Reginald “Reggie” Vardon, 83, who was reported missing in July 2024, according to the Ontario County Sheriff’s Office.

Vardon was last seen on July 15, 2024, walking northbound on School Street in Victor and crossing Main Street, as captured by street cameras. His family reported him missing two days later, on July 17.

Video Thumbnail

His remains were discovered on May 27 by a resident fishing near Mud Creek, in the area of McMahon Road in Victor.

What we know

During a press conference held May 30, Ontario County Sheriff David Cirencione stated that on the day of Vardon’s disappearance, the northern Finger Lakes region experienced a severe weather event that included two confirmed tornadoes, flash flooding, tennis ball-sized hail, and widespread downed trees and power lines.

Vardon’s remains were found under a downed tree in a dense, remote area between Mud Creek and a railroad bed—just about a mile from his home by water. The location was heavily wooded, with tall grass, and nearly impossible to see from either air or land unless standing directly over it. Clothing was also found with the remains.

Cirencione said investigators had always considered the storm a possible factor in Vardon’s disappearance. The railroad bed and surrounding area were searched multiple times by deputies and firefighters using bloodhounds, cadaver dogs, helicopters, and drones—none of which detected Vardon at the time.

Vardon’s remains are still being analyzed to determine the exact cause of death. However, Cirencione said the location and position of the remains were consistent with him having been swept away by the storm on July 15.

“While this is not the ending we had hoped for, we are relieved that Mr. Vardon’s family now has closure and will soon be reunited with his remains,” Cirencione said, appearing emotional. “All of us at the sheriff’s office offer our most heartfelt condolences to Mr. Vardon’s family. We know how difficult these last 10 months have been for them, and how hard it is now to process this sad outcome. We never gave up hope.”

Family statement

Vardon’s family issued a statement through the sheriff’s office thanking law enforcement and the community for their support.

“This is obviously not the outcome we had hoped for, but knowing Dad has not been out there suffering all this time is a comfort,” the statement reads. “At this time, we ask for some time to process and grieve privately.”

The family said a memorial will be held at a future date.

— Madison Scott is a journalist with the Democrat and Chronicle who covers breaking and trending news for the Finger Lakes Region. She has an interest in how the system helps or doesn’t help families with missing loved ones. She can be reached at MDScott@gannett.com.

This article originally appeared on Rochester Democrat and Chronicle: Remains found in Victor identified as man missing since July 2024

Reporting by Madison Scott, Rochester Democrat and Chronicle / Rochester Democrat and Chronicle

USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect

Image

Image

Related posts

Leave a Comment